Skip to Content

Driver's License for International Visitors (F-1 and J-1)

International students and scholars who will be in the U.S. for longer than 30 days and plan to drive a car should obtain a Texas Driver’s License at the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). Access to a car, knowledge of Texas driving regulations, as well as testable driving skills are basic requirements for a driver’s license. You must provide your own vehicle when taking the driving test.

  • Required Documents (Original Copies):

    For F-1 Students Only: A Proof of Enrollment Letter from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

    • Use the Request Form to request a Proof of Enrollment Letter be written (processing time: 5 -10 business days). 
  • Directions to the DPS using the CARTS city bus:

    1. Take the CARTS city bus from the CARTS station, in front of the UPS Store (415 N Guadalupe St) near UAC, to the San Marcos Station. The CARTS bus normally arrives at 00:50 of the hour, from 7:30am – 5:30pm. (normally Route 5)
    2. When you arrive at the San Marcos Station, get on the connecting CARTS bus that goes by the DPS (normally Route 3 but ask the bus driver to be sure). The CARTS bus normally arrives near the DPS office every half hour.
    3. If you will also need a ride back to campus, make sure to ask the bus driver when the bus will be back to the DPS and ask where they can pick you up.

    Address: Department of Public Safety (DPS) 1400 N I-35, San Marcos, TX 78666 

    DPS Phone: (512)-353-2770

    CARTS Phone: (512)-805-7433