Skip to Content

F-1 Student Withdrawal Request

Do not complete this request if you are not a student on an F-1 visa.

This form is not intended for domestic students.

Before you decide to withdraw your enrollment from Texas State University, be sure to speak with your faculty or academic advisor.

If you have questions about withdrawing schedule an appointment with a DSO from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). The DSO will help you learn about the affects withdrawing may have on your academic and immigration records.

Review more options and information on University Registrar Withdrawal website.

If you are ready to withdraw, please complete:

  1. Online University Withdrawal Form

  2. F-1 Student Withdrawal Request Form (click the button below)

  3. After ISSS approves your withdrawal request, then go back to the Online University Withdrawal Form to finish your withdrawal request 

Frequently Asked Questions: New Students

  • Yes, if you are not enrolling in the upcoming semester then you must complete both the University Registrar withdraw and the ISSS withdraw request.

  • An F-1 student's immigration status is dependent on enrollment in a program of study. Read below for additional information as it relates to new initial and transfer students.

    Initial Student

    • Your SEVIS record will be activated in the first semester you physically attend Texas State.
    • Deferring to a future semester does not negatively impact your SEVIS record.
    • Contact if you are seeking a deferral. ISSS can make updates to your SEVIS record including changing the start date which preserves any paid I-901 fee.

    Transfer Student

    • Your SEVIS record will not be affected as long as you enroll in a program of study within 5 months or the next available term.
    • If your SEVIS record was already transferred to Texas State, contact your transfer-out school and request to cancel the SEVIS transfer.
      • If your SEVIS transfer release date has already passed contact for a reverse SEVIS transfer.
    • SEVP guidance states that a transfer student must start attending classes within 5 months of the last day he or she attended classes or the next available session, whichever comes sooner. (this rule is waived for Fall 2020 due to COVID-19, see more COVID-19 frequently asked questions).
  • Not enrolling in the semester you are admitted may impact your future academic status. Some students are eligible for deferring their initial enrollment to a future semester. Not all programs allow program deferrals.

    Graduate Students

    Undergraduate Students

    • Deferrals are not allowed. Students must submit a new application for future enrollment.
    • Contact Undergraduate Admissions for more information.
  • The initial Form I-20 is issued for a specific semester. If you are not enrolling in the semester that your I-20 was created for please contact ISSS at

    If you are approved to enroll in a future semester whether through deferral or new admission, ISSS can create you a new I-20.

Frequently Asked Questions: Continuing Students