Skip to Content

Tax Assistance Resources

DSOs are not trained in the complexities of the US Tax Regulations.


Below you will find links and resources for preparation of US taxes.

Nonresident aliens temporarily present in the US as students, trainees, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income. 

If you have general questions regarding your taxes, contact the Payroll and Tax Compliance office at 512-245-2543.

Note: Any specific tax situation that cannot be addressed by the Payroll and Tax Compliance Office will need to be discussed with a licensed tax professional.

IMPORTANT: According to IRS regulations, international students and scholars who are considered nonresident aliens for tax purposes must file either a 1040-NR or a 1040-NR-EZ paper tax return. The tax return must be signed and dated, and mailed to the IRS office indicated in the instructions.

The determination of residency status for tax purposes is made with the Substantial Presence Test. To determine your status (Non-Resident or Resident) for taxes purposes contact Payroll and Tax Compliance Office. The office will be able to determine your current residency status for tax purposes and provide contact information for the IRS so that you may correctly file your tax return documents.

Tax Treaties are treaties between the U.S. and other countries to avoid double taxation. Citizens of tax treaty countries are either taxed at a reduced rate or exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States.

International Students and Scholar Services provides tax preparation software only to currently enrolled F-1 and J-1 students who are classified as nonresident aliens for tax purposes.

Nonresident alien students, scholars and honorarium recipients may not use U.S. tax preparation software, such as TurboTax, to file their taxes it is intended for use by U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents and Resident Aliens. Contact the IRS for further assistance.