STEM OPT Extension
Visit the Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States - STEM OPT Hub, which includes:
- Determining STEM OPT Extension Eligibility
- STEM OPT Reporting Requirements
- Transition Plan Overview for STEM OPT
- Guide to complete Training Plan Form I-983
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) offers best practices information on STEM OPT Extension as a courtesy to international students under a Texas State University issued Form I-20. All information provided is not considered legal advice.
- A student may file for the 24-month extension up to 90 days prior to the end date of post-completion OPT. USCIS must receive the application no later than the expiration date of the original OPT.
- Applicant must be working on unexpired post-completion OPT.
- Applicant must be working for an E-Verify employer. USCIS has created an online E-Verify Employer Search Tool.
- The primary major CIP code, found on the I-20, should be on the DHS STEM Designated Degree Program List.
- Applicant may work up to 180 days beyond the expiration date of their EAD while the STEM application is pending with USCIS.
USCIS processing times for the Form I-765 may vary. Please review Check Case Processing Times.